Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Peter Serafinowicz Show - Invaded


I fancy mine much



Works under consideration: 4 (have to up my work rate)
Dark Angel: Dwelling in my soul
Pyrates: 1
First Thought this morning: ‘What if I googled my name and I wasn’t there?’
State of Mind: Angel and Sinner
Comedy Writing WordMix: Phil ‘Sergeant Bilko’ Silvers made my life worthwhile gagssharpwonderlaughlongandloud


Watch more Comedy
I write comedy and I don’t like watching it.
But I do. I watch QI and Mock The Week but I find it very hard to watch anything new. I have to. But I can’t. This weekend I’m going to…

Shhhhh…

Did you hear something? I thought I heard something. I hope it’s not those Pyrates again.

I have a new DVD, The 50th Anniversary of ‘The Phil Silver Show.' I love that man and that show. And I’m finally going to get down to some real character comedy watching ‘The Smoking Room.’ Because I’ve been busy writing silly surreal things I’ve lost sight of that element, where the real laughs are ie in The Character.

And I’m going to watch 'The Peter Serafinowicz Show…'

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
Good morning.

COMEDY WRITER IN WAITING:
Just a minute. I’m blogging.

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
But of course my good fellow!

Everything is interrupted! I just want to write about comedy and bloody Pyrates invade my blog.

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
Well I would hardly call it invasion.

COMEDY WRITER IN WAITING:
Do you mind?

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
Sorry sir!

Where was I? Yes at my desk, interrupted, wondering if I’ll every get to dominate, take over and rule the comedy world via InterWebThing. So I’ll be watching 'The Peter Serafinowicz Show' next week. Could be inspiring. I remember him from 'Black Books' where he did a great turn as Hywel Grranger, man with the world’s silkiest voice (well he is a voice over artist, I suppose that was the joke, duh!).
Characters and how to invade them. I mean how to make them.

One thing I’ve found about writing characters is that you can give them the wrong name. Now I tend not to give them a name till I’m happy with them. Strange. Also of great value is ‘Hot Spotting’ them. Something which is used in improv’ workshops all the time. I take some questionnaires and I interview the character I have in mind eg ‘What are you doing at the weekend?’ Take twenty questions and ask your character. If you don’t get the right answers then bin him/her and move on…

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
I say.

COMEDY WRITER IN WAITING:
Yes?

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
Are those your JazzZombies tapping their instruments on the French Windows?

COMEDY WRITER IN WAITING: (shouting out the window)
MOVE ALONG! Yes you! Take that double bass, the Gitannes, the floppy hair and bugger off to Brighton!

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
I was wondering if you could help me find the crew of ‘The Blind Bully Butcher?’

COMEDY WRITER IN WAITING:
Sorry. Don’t have a clue.

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
You may know the Captain? Captain Nice. And his scurvy time wasters Granite and Woody, he who has peg legs, peg hands, and a peg nose.

COMEDY WRITER IN WAITING:
Sorry doesn’t ring any bells.

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
I see.

CAPTAIN BLOOD DRAWS A LONG, HONED CUTLASS

COMEDY WRITER IN WAITING:
There over there.

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
You better not be lying to me writer. I’ll hang you by your pen fingers and thrash you back to your teens…

COMEDY WRITER IN WAITING:
If you look to the right of that portal, just over to the left of the Interweb, you’ll see them settling down before invading that TV show.

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
What’s it called?

COMEDY WRITER IN WAITING:
I believe it’s a BBC Web site. ‘Thursday’s are Funny’‘The Peter Serafinowicz Show.’ Thursdays are funny. Well they are aren’t they? I mean it’s 'Thur,' that’s a very funny name for a day. I’d like to number them. You know can’t wait till sixday. What are you doing on sevenday? I could…

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
I’ve got their ship clamped and they owe me seventy-two days of fines. That’s a lot of gold writer. They’ll pay. If your lying to me I’ll be back with hot pokers FOR YOUR STERN and cigarette ends for your coffee…!

COMEDY WRITER IN WAITING GULPS, RAISES AN EYEBROW AND LOOKS INNOCENT.

CAPTAIN BLOOD:
FOLLOW ME MEN! CHARGE!!!

A MOTLEY CREW OF CUTTHROATS FOLLOW CAPTAIN BLOOD ACROSS THE BLOG. MOST OF THEM DON’T WIPE THEIR FEET

- END -

If I was you I wouldn’t write anymore pyrates…

Tune in to the next blog
When the crew of 'The Blind BullyButcher’ run right to left across the blog. Captain Blood gets a bloody nose and Woody gets poetical…


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 4:24 pm, Blogger Les Becker said...

I have trouble "watching" anything. Movies take forever with all the pausing. TV just generally sucks.

And then last night, PBS had some sort of Monty Python Stay Awake All Night and Watch Stupidity Fest. And I did. 'Cuz it was Python.

I'm tired.

 
At 12:48 pm, Blogger Lucy Dee said...

OMG! I can't believe it's taken me so long to find you. I'm a stand-up comedienne out of NYC--and I'm also a writer. (That's sort of redundant to say, right? I'm a stand-up and a writer?)

Anyway, I'm currently keeping up a blog where I debut the actions of a would be professional comedienne (me). I am creating a online guide for would-be/wannabe comedians.

I would like to ask you (if you have time) if you'd be willing to let me interview you. I have so many questions of what it is like to be a working writer.

Also, there is a podcast I listen to regularly where the speaker talks about comedy "behind-the-scenes".

It's called Behind the Bricks, and the most recent episode (Sept 27, 2007) profiles what it is to be a comedy writer. Go figure?!

Anyway, I would be honored if you indulged my request to interview you. If not, you realize that you have just garnered yourself a new fan from across the pond!

Thanks much!!

 
At 7:29 pm, Blogger JimKin said...

:-)

Python, Bless them all. I watched Bilko to 3am. Madness...ve...ry slee...py... and still tired two days later...

 
At 7:46 pm, Blogger JimKin said...

Hello Lucy,

I hope you enjoyed my blog. I'm not a 'working writer' as such. I've had a few things on TV in the UK, performed my own stand up,written for another stand up 'Eddie Sidecar' the Worlds's only living motorcycle impressionist, and had a few things published on the web. I enter competitions, do my own thing and collect rejection like a rash.

I don't think you'd get a lot out of interviewing me. You might be better off contacting someone like James Henry. See his blog http://www.jamesandthebluecat.blogspot.com/

He's a UK working comedy writer, very funny, and has written for series like 'Green Wing.'

If you'd like to link to me that's great. I can link to you. I do intend to keep working towards professional status, doing more video, and sending out spec' material.

I wish you every success and if I can help in anyway or you fancy a chat drop me a line. You can see more of my work on www.dreamdrill.com.

I'll check out Behind The Bricks.

Big purrr!

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Humor blogs