Saturday, November 10, 2007

Random Association Pixies


A U.N. Grant was the best he could hope for

Works under consideration: 22


Stuck in the Middle of…
a sketch called ‘My Mate Primate’ for the Channel 4 Web site in association with Baby Cow . The premise is a ‘1950’s Dad transported back in time to live in a community of Neanderthals.’ Erm. Well, of course, they’ve got to be playing cricket. And I’m stuck…

Being Funny Secrets
It’s hard work.

Perhaps one time in ten I write something off the cuff and it’s any good. Most of the time I have to ‘generate’ ideas. There are lots of variations on this but building a list of ‘Random Associations.’ I just write a list of 50 things around the subject which can be images, words, places, people, dialogue. Then I’ll build a ‘Focused’ list. This list is really things that have some energy, the possibility of going somewhere. The more you ‘generate’ the more chances you make for yourself.

Lists
It’s a way of getting your mind to make the sub-conscious connections. And it should be fun otherwise why are you writing? From the ‘Focused List’ I mull and mull, and mull, and something will kick off the piece. If it doesn’t (always set yourself a time limit – so you don’t beat yourself up and make writing harder) I go away and do something else and relax. The subconscious will work on it for you. It never fails*.

Sausages
I have to block out thoughts sometimes and I always rely on an image of over cooked sausages, so when faced with a temptation I think of a Cumberland Ring. I should really see someone about that…

That’s Me That is
Spen ‘Part Klingon Part InterWebGuruWarrior' took this picture this week for the new site. I suppose I have to face the fact that my face is a bomb ruin and should apply to the UN for a regeneration grant. I think once the building work is done I’ll plant some shrubs I can hide my nose behind.


Tune Next Blog
For the completed sketch, what to do with all those ideas, and some Pyrate-Penguin-Banditos-Ruby-MiXing…

Random word: Judder

*If it doesn't work then I go to the bottom of the garden and have a chat with the Random Pixies


Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:55 pm, Blogger Les Becker said...

"Judder". Is that like a shudder but with beer up your nose? That's a good word.

 
At 10:23 pm, Blogger JimKin said...

"Edith would watch her wrestling with words, her thin little body juddering with the effort to unlock them"

- Anita Brookner.

 
At 8:32 pm, Blogger Les Becker said...

Yep. Just like beer, really.

 
At 8:38 pm, Blogger JimKin said...

lol

Romantic Beer in a kind'a of 'Quentin Tarantino does Jane Austin' sort of way.

 
At 10:07 pm, Blogger Les Becker said...

There's a sketch for you! You write that - I'll call 'Q' and force him to make it. Get 'juddering' into the dialogue somehow, can you? And make beer come out Jane's nose.

 
At 8:33 pm, Blogger JimKin said...

I am working on this.

.....just having some thinking time.


......Do I get Q to talk like a 19c pup or Jane like a Motherf****

....stay tuned Duchess...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Humor blogs